Our today’s topic is Heavy Equipment Safety. we will cover defination hazards, safety precautions & type of heavy equipment.
Definition of heavy Equipment :
Heavy equipment refers to heavy-duty vehicles, specially designed for executing construction tasks, most frequently ones involving earthwork operations or other large construction tasks.
Hazards of Heavy Equipment:
- Crushing or rollover
- Falling into excavation
General safety requirements of Heavy Equipment as per KNPC standards:
- Approved spark arrest (USDA marking) should be installed USDA marking.
- Safety certificate validity 3 months but for new equipment it must be 6 month.
- 2 numbers of Fire extinguishers
- Third-party certificate for crane/boom truck/forklifts and Calibration certificate for PSV of air compressor.
- The hot work permit should be available.
- Kuwait construction licensed with third party certified for crane/boom truck/forklift.
- Equipment cabin shall be free from a blind spot.
- Trained signalman with flags.
- 5*Deapth distance shall be maintained from the edge of excavation.
- Don’t allow anyone underneath the boom of equipment.
- Prevent usage of any loose cloth be operators which may entangle with control lever of the equipment.
- Ensure usage of rearview and side-view mirrors.
- Hydro test certificate of air receiving drum of air compressor if validity exceeds 5 years
- Weep lash arrest for air compressor hoses and Chicago coupling.
- Approved air supply hose with hydro test certificate.
- While refueling at the site, switch off the engine and ensure no hot work within 15-meter radius.
- Bonding and grounding need to be done before refueling.
- A separate permit shall be take for the refueling of equipment.
- For compactors check the on/off switch should be functioned properly.
- There should not be any leakage.
- Employee shall wear ear muff while using compactor.
Types of heavy equipment used in a construction site:
- Concrete mixer
- crane and boom trucks/dump trucks
- JCB/wheel loader
- Bobcat/compact loader
- Air compressor
- Plate/Jaw/roller compactor