Today our topic is Lifting & Crane safety & we will cover Types of crane, Parts of Crane, Lifting Harzads, Lifting & Crane Safety precautions.
Cranes are basically used to shift, lift the heavy materials and loads from one place to another.
- Crawler crane with a fixed boom
- Telescopic & mobile cranes
- Rough Terrain crain
- Tower Crane
- Floating crane
- Outrigger with spreader mates
- Center pin
- Crane cabin
- Main and auxiliary hook
- Anti tube block/limit switch.
Lifting & Crane Hazards:
Shifting of materials from one place to another place using Crane and Boom truck (Lifting) is a critical work which has the following hazards:
- Falling of load
- Hitting & crushing of a load to existing facilities
- Toppling of Crane
- High wind speed, Poor communication and poor visibility
- Damage to underground utilities of earth.
Lifting & Crane safety precautions:
- Soil or ground condition shall be checked and should be leveled.
- Spread mate shall be used size 1:3.
- Outrigger shall be fully extended and at least 1 meter away from manholes and trenches.
- Do not overload, always lift up to SWL (safe working load).
- Crane shall be used up to 75% of its capacity as per KNPC regulation.
- Do not operate crane in high wind and raining conditions.
- Barricade the swinging radius of crane and don’t allow unauthorized persons except for trained and certified rigger.
- Rigger should wear a jacket.
- The only rigger can give signal to the crane operators.
- Minimum two tag lines shall be used to control the swinging of load.
- Man entry is not allowable under the suspended load even if he is a rigger.
- Straight, basket, and choker hitch shall be used.
- Crane should have a reverse beep horn.
What are the things we have to check in cranes?
- Hot work permit or lifting permit before starting of job.
- If more than multiple cranes are using risk assessment shall be done.
- Crane third party certificate, validity one year ( plate number, validity, any remarks and number of falls).
- Operator third party & license.
- Rigger third party and its validity (one year).
- Safety certificate and fire extinguishers of the crane.
- Crane outriggers and mates.
- Crane computer function.
- Anti tube block/limit switch (it will stop the function of crane hook once it touches and it will prevent from hook from hitting to top boom pulley.
- Lifting appliance like (wire rope sling, webbing sling, D shackle, chain block) third party certificate (validity 6 months) and don’t use beyond its SWL.
- Damage and expired lifting tools and tackles shall not be used.
- Safety latch of a main and auxiliary hook.
- A hydraulic leak of oil.
- The cabin of crane shall be free from blind spot.
- PPE of working crew especially leather gloves for rigger and safety harness.