Hydro test Safety
Today our topic is Hydro test safety & we will cover hazards and control measures of the Hydro test.
Definition of Hydro Test:
The hydro test is the test which is carry out by using water. Water is pressure by means of hand/engine pump to a certain pressure and has to put the system on hold for some time to observe any leak or failure. After achieving the require pressure, if it falls means having some problem in the system.
Purpose of Hydro test:
1. Identify the leaks.
2. To check the strength of the welded joint.
3. To check the capacity of the system.
Hazards of Hydro test:
1. Breaking/failure of line, gasket, flanges, and gauges.
2. Air entrapment inside the pipe.
3. Usage of an engine operated pump.
4. Inadvertently/suddenly increase of pressure due to underrated or non calibrated pressure gauges.
5. Substandard support.
6. PSV failure.
Safety Precautions of Hydro Test:
1. Hydro test test Area shall be barricaded and provide warning boards to prevent personnel entry.
2. Calibrated pressure gauges and Pressure safety valves only shall be used.
3. Rating of fittings, pressure gauges, vent valves, gaskets shall be suitable for the test pressure.
4. Flanges and Plates shall be as per the line class.
5. All the temporary welding shall be performed by qualified welders and approved by Client QA/QC.
6. Ensure air vent provided at the highest elevation.
7. Gradual filling of lines shall be done keeping vent to open.
8. Ensure that the line is vented to remove air pockets before pressurization.
9. Pressure should be raised gradually under control to allow time for pipes to strain and time for personnel to check for leaks.
10. There shall be at least two pressure gauges, one at lowest point and another at the highest point in the system
11. Hydro testing crew should not stay in the direction of the blind flanges to prevent injury in case of flange rapture.
12. All hoses/ piping/gaskets and connectors/clamps shall be of adequate rating to withstand pressure.
13. Whip lash arrestor shall be provided at hose connection.
14. Personnel shall not approach the system under high Pressure.
15. Only essential and trained persons shall be allowed at the Hydro test work location
16. Access shall be free from any obstacle.
17. Supervisors shall be present at work location during hydro testing activities are done.
18. Risk assessment shall be done for any hydro test job.