Today our topic is the Emergency Evacuation Procedure. we will cover Definitions, Purpose, categories, emergency response, Siren types, & evacuation procedure.
Definition, Purpose & Categories:
Definition of Emergency:
In simple word : Accidents or major incident, gas leaks, fire inside the refinery.
During handling of an emergency at a site, there could be instances when it would be essential to evacuate personnel to safer location, in order to avoid the risk of injury or loss of lives.
A designated safe area
The purpose of Emergency evacuation procedure is to protect the employees from serious injury, property loss, or loss of life, in the event of an actual or potential emergency event.
This section covers the emergency categorization philosophy and predefined response for different types of emergency incidents, such as:
- Oil Spills
- Gas Release (Toxic/Flammable)
- Hazardous Chemical Spills
- Personnel Injuries
- Security Incidents
The purpose of categorizing incidents is to ensure that sufficient (and appropriate) resources are immediately made available to bring the emergency under control as quickly and efficiently as possible.
**Note: Above mentioned categorization is as per KNPC. categorization can differ as per client.
The first person reaching at the incident site will call Emergency Number of a client to confirm the incident without waiting for categorization. HSE Supervisor assesses the situation, categorize the incident and inform EDC advising the type and category of the incident.
Action Plan In Case of Emergency:
- Don’t Panic
- Stop All Work and Report Immediately To Emergency Team
- Switch off All Equipment / Vehicles in Use
- Evacuate the Work Area
- Do Not Run but Move Quickly towards the Designated Muster/Assembly Point and will be transferred to Gathering Point
- Stay at the Gathering Point and Wait for Further Instructions from Your Supervisor after Head
The site emergency sirens are sounded to alert personnel as follows;
Alert Siren-An interrupted [on/off] tone sounded to announce an emergency such as fire explosion, major oil leak or an uncontrolled toxic gas release [whether originating onsite or from the neighbor industries].
Evacuation Siren– Wailing tone sounded when evacuation is declared.
All Clear Siren-Continuous uninterrupted tone sounded to declare the incident closeout.
**Note: Above mentioned emergency sirens system is as per KNPC. The emergency siren system can differ as per client.
There are emergency situations which have the potential to affect personnel lives, for example:
- Release of toxic gas
- Release of flammable gas, oil or other material having potential to cause fire or leading to fire
- Release of toxic or flammable gas
- Nuclear, Biological or Chemical (NBC) attack
- Bomb threat, sabotage, air raid or other hostile act
Activities at Site:
- On hearing of emergency alert, siren Supervisors shall inform their work team to stop critical activities. Dangerous mechanical and electrical equipment shall be switch off.
- HSE Supervisor shall ensure that all Dangerous mechanical and electrical equipment are switches off.
- Drivers shall contact Vehicle Controller where to collect the Employee’s while evacuation siren rises.
- Confined space attendant shall ensure that all employees working inside the confined space come out when an alert siren is raised.
- Site Supervisors should give clear instructions to the workers about the wind direction, emergency route, alternative route to lead Site Employees towards Assembly Point.
Activities at site office:
- On hearing of emergency alert siren all Site Office Employees shall stop all working activities like switch off the computer, A/C, and wait for further evacuation siren.
- Vehicle Controller shall inform Drivers to get ready for an emergency.
- The bus driver shall be ready to collect Site Employees from the site.
If Emergency dispatch center raise Evacuation siren then follow:
Activities at Site:
- On hearing the evacuation siren as per Site Supervisors instruction all Site Employees working in the site shall move towards AP in the site.
- While moving Employees shall observe the wind direction from the windsocks located a nearby area in the site and move perpendicular to the wind direction to AP.
- The bus driver shall start the bus from Site Office and move towards the gathering area.
- The bus driver shall park without obstructing any fire hydrant or blocking the road to collect the Site Employees in the site.
- HSE Supervisor shall ensure that all Site Employees are getting inside the bus.
Activities at the office:
- On hearing of evacuation siren, all Site Office Employees and visitors shall move towards Site Office assembly point.
- All Site Office Employees from Site Office shall move towards AP.
- Fire warden will ensure that no one remaining in the Site Office.
- Fire warden will ensure that the main power switch is off.
- All Employees shall be stand in single line in contractor area at AP.
- Safety Engineer shall ensure that all employees are in a single line at AP.
- Starts the headcount at AP.
- While head counting if any Employees missing then immediately inform about the missing employees to Client.
- Wait for the feedback from Client Representative.
All Clear Siren:
- All clear siren is announced by the EDC after the end of the emergency.
- Site Office Employees shall move to Site Office and Site Employees shall move to the site after All clear Siren.
- Prepare new work permit before continuing their task.
- Before continuing task special toolbox talks shall be conduct about the emergency situation to the Employees at by HSE .