Our today’s Toolbox Talk topic is Electrical safety.
PREPARATION: Get a defective cable or electric power tool so you can point out the faults to explain electrical safety.
All these incidents were caused by unsafe acts or lack of awareness. These wake-up calls emphasize the importance of establishing strict procedures for connecting temporary power.
Explain the following point to describe the electrical safety toolbox talk:
- All electrical equipment must be in good condition and inspected prior to use.
- Make sure starters and connections of portable generator comply with KNPC standards for the respective area classification.
- Make sure earth grounding should be provided to a portable generator as per KNPC standards.
- Power supply to portable tools shall be connected only through an Earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB).
- All defective equipment & tools shall be promptly tagged and kept out of service
- Electrical devices must have an industrial socket without cracks, cords must not be frayed, and no exposed, or taped over wiring. All joints shall be made with proper male & female sockets.
- Electric cords must be kept out of the water and crude oil. Electrical cords must also be protected from fraying when used on platforms, laid over railings, etc.
- No live power cables shall be laid across a road unless the traffic is completely blocked.
- Only armored / shielded power cables to be used
- Portable electric tools should be double insulated.
- All analysis and repair of electrical devices must be performed by a certified electrician.
- Temporary connections must follow recognized standards. Placing the bare wire into outlets is strictly prohibited.
- Only 24v hand lamps are permitted inside a confined space. Any floodlights shall be provided only through an Earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB).
- All floodlights used to shut down jobs must be explosion-proof and suitable for the area classification.
- Electrical hazard & Electrician Contact details Signage should be posted on the equipment & surrounding area.
|Industrial male & female socket|
|Earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB).|