- Electric shock.
- Heating and source of ignitions.
- Mechanical and other hazards.
Causes of Electrical Hazards:
- Faulty or damage wiring or equipment.
- Loose connections.
- Use of poor quality fittings.
- Lack of earthing/bonding and grounding.
- Use of overrated fuse or jumper.
- Working on live equipment.
- Overloading of power sockets and equipment.
- Poor housekeeping.
- Handling of electrical equipment with an incompetent person and lack of training awareness.
- Lack of safe working procedure and communication.
- Failure to use appropriate PPE and use.
- Lack of warning signs.
Electrical Safety Control Measures:
- A competent and experienced person shall be allowed to do electrical jobs.
- Don’t work on live equipment, isolation and multi lock system shall be followed.
- Don’t hang cloth or any material on electrical equipment.
- Handling of electrical equipment or switchgear shall not be done with wet hand or body.
- Electrical switches or access to them shall not block by any material.
- Use appropriate PPE while working on electrical equipment.
Residual Current Device (Rcd) Or Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker (Elcb):
An electrical safety device used to protect people from electric shock injuries by sensing the leakage of currents to ground and de-energizing the circuit to prevent the injury.
Multi lock system:
Multi-lock system is use to prevent injury by accidental energizing of an equipment While it is attend by different craft.
- The executing authority and issuing authority will jointly decide the requirement.
- The issuing authority issues the work permit to competent electrical person to Isolate the electrical equipment from substation.
- The competent electrical person and the Executing Authorities install their Locks in the multi-lock pad as per color-coding.
- Then electrical and other parties sign the section 4B of the work permit (KNPC Permit).
- Color coding of pad-locks
- Electrical maintenance Brass Yellow
- Mechanical maintenance Black
- Other Blue
- Each lock shall be numbered and the key shall be same number.
- After locking, the person who installs the lock is the responsible custodian of the key.
- Electrical maintenance will have to remove lock lastly after receiving all necessary permits.
- The lock shall be removed by individual craft after completion of their job.